Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Brett Favre is going to be a Viking.

I know. It sucks. I hate the idea of Brett Favre playing in purple. But, it’s all but a done deal. Favre met with Mike McCarthy, Packer head coach, last night and it didn’t go well.

This from Favre today, according to Chris Mortensen:
"We're at a stalemate," Favre said. "Mike and I both agreed last night that me being out there is a distraction and will continue to be a distraction. We all know the reason I'm here is because the commissioner reinstated me so we have a lot of things to figure out. It's simple and complicated, both at the same time…they want to know if I'm committed but I want to know if they're 100 percent committed. The problem is that there's been a lot of damage done and I can't forget it. Stuff has been said, stories planted, that just aren't true. Can I get over all that? I doubt it… so they can say they welcome me back but, come on, the way they've treated me tells you the truth. They don't want me back, so let's move on. I don't know where it's headed. We'll see."

The idea of Brett Favre playing for the Vikings is incomprehensible to me. I don’t want this to happen. Not at all. I’ve avoided even thinking about it because the thought makes me ill. How do you cheer for someone you hate? How do you cheer for a guy like Brett Favre? How do I not cheer for the Vikings this year? Do I hate the Packers or do I hate Brett Favre? I have never really believed in the old joke that you are just “cheering for laundry” when you cheer for a sports team, but if I have to cheer for Brett Favre as a Viking, I guess I will believe it.

Worst case scenario – we will win the Super Bowl, Brett Favre will be our quarterback, and it won’t feel like “we” really won anything at all. We will win with the Packers quarterback. Who wants that?

Not me.

No comments: