Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A disappointing finish

There isn’t much we can say about the loss to the Saints that hasn’t already been said. We won’t ever fully recover from a loss like that. How could you fully recover? If the loss in 1998 taught us anything, it’s that you shouldn’t get your hopes up too high for anything to happen when it comes to the Vikings. And when you do get your hopes up, you will get burned. The latest loss not only makes us question why we cheer for the Vikings, but it makes us question why we watch sports at all. It all seems pointless. Instead of rehashing the fumbles, the missed opportunities, and the well…the fumbles again…we thought we would just give you a sample of some of the text messages we received during the game:


I hate the Saints.

You better hope they keep Chester, AD is never going to be the same.

There aren’t words. I guess that’s why we got Favre. Same way Packers lost to Giants.

Who dat? You ain’t dat!

Do you bench Adrian?

You think Chilli will get out-coached in the pro bowl next week?

Tjack would have avoided those hits.

Just like the Atlanta game in reverse - never get too high they always find a way to screw it up.

Does Jared Allen still play for us?

Isaac needs cheering up - can u call?


That last one was a text from my sister about 20 minutes after the game ended. My little nephew was not handling the loss very well. When I called him, I could hear the disappointment in his voice. I wanted to tell him to get out now, that he should become a fan of some other team or better yet, just forget about football and focus on enjoying music or reading, or something more worthy of his time. But…I couldn’t do it. I wanted to tell him to run… but I told him the same thing I would have wanted to hear at that moment – “we will get them next year.”


And who knows if we will. Chances are we won’t. But we might. So we will all be back watching and waiting again hoping this will be the year the Vikings actually get over the hump.


Until then, it’s GO TWINS.


No comments: