Thursday, May 24, 2007

At least he isn’t into dog fighting.

Elijah Dukes plays for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Back in April, I wrote about him and really thought he was turning his life around.

Turns out, he isn’t.

Dukes’ wife, NiShea Gilbert, filed papers last week saying that Mr. Dukes sent her a text message with a photo of a hand gun and he threatened to kill her, saying in his voicemail to her: “You dead dog, I ain’t even bullshitting. Your kids too.”

You can read the entire story from the St. Petersburg Times.

I see 10...no...let's make it 11 problems/interesting nuggets/questions buried in this story.

1. Who calls his wife “Dawg” – no matter what the circumstances? Maybe Randy Jackson, but that’s it right? I can’t even get away with calling my gal “dude.”

2. Yes, when I read the first two paragraphs, I too thought Mr. Dukes was married to a middle school student.

3. Dukes is quoted as saying to the reporter, "I've got to go. I've got a video game to finish." That’s a pretty good way to get out of any kind of conversation. I wonder what the game was…Grand Theft Auto? Halo? He can’t still be playing Doom?

4. Mr. Dukes either had a picture of a gun on his cell phone already (took a pic of his gun maybe) or he did a google image search for a gun. That takes a lot of effort doesn’t it?

5. What would Roger Gooddell do in a situation like this?

6. You have to wonder what Alec Baldwin thinks of this creative us of a cell phone; he’s no doubt nodding his head in agreement right now.

7. How will this impact Duke’s value as a fantasy player? It’s going to hurt his focus I think. The best part about this story is it won’t make me even consider dropping him from my fantasy roster. His lack of batting average might though.

8. Dukes has five kids with four different women! He’s 22-years-old! Two of the women he impregnated gave birth in 2003 within eight days of each other! I wonder if he stressed out about being a parent, walking up and down the aisles of Babies R Us consumed with fear and wondering how he was going to pay for all of the baby stuff? Probably not, huh?

9. If he was looking for a subtle approach, he should have sent a picture of O.J. Simpson or Robert Blake instead of a handgun.

10. I think the anger management courses are going to work. Seems like he’s the kind of guy who just needs a little direction in his life – someone to talk to about his issues.

11. Quote of the article, maybe in fact…yes – quote of the year coming from Ms. Dukes… “Life only got more frustrating after the marriage,” she said. Shocking.

No comments: