Friday, June 18, 2010

The ump was right, a storm was coming!

Denard Span got picked off at 2nd base yesterday and he was angry because he thought he was safe and the ump can't make a call like that, at least according to Span, unless the ump is 1,000 percent sure the runner is out. According to MSNBC, he went on to say...

"I had told the second-base umpire, I let him know how I felt the inning after I ran to my position. I just felt like there was no point in arguing, because he's already called me out. We had an early game, so I know everybody's trying to get out of here. We've got a storm coming in, that's what I heard," said Span.

The ump was right, storms were coming. And...Span was out. So, it was the right call for all the right reasons. Don't get picked at 2nd base in a close game. And, sometimes blaming the weather for a call is the right thing to do, especially if you know you were right and it will piss off the player. Everybody wins! The Twins weren't beating Ubaldo yesterday and Span getting dumped on the base paths was one of the highlights of the game.

No comments: